Introducing our 1st Quarterly “Sew Along”

Hi Ladies!

I don’t know about you but, sometimes, I just need a little fire under my rear to get me going….

So, I thought it would be fun to offer a quarterly SEW ALONG for the followers of this blog.

What is a Sew Along?

I’ve been researching this, and honestly, it seems that a “sew along” is an extended tutorial for one particular project.  That way, if I want to take you from start to finish on fitting, altering, and constructing something more extensive like a garment, I can break it down into several manageable posts.

These posts can be published daily or weekly and will include help with each step of the project and can include tutorials for the variations and options for a particular skill, etc.

Participating in a Sew Along is kind of neat because you are “sewing along” on the same project, at the same time as your fellow blog friends possibly from all over the world AND at the end, we get to post our pictures of what we made!  It’s a shared experience and a good way to try new things and connect with others who love what you love, too!

The quarterly Sew Alongs will be posted in addition to the tips and tutorials etc. that you can find here.

Interested?

Well, since one of my goals is to keep you happy and informed, our very first SEW ALONG project is going to be the one that gets the most votes from you!

So, here is a list of suggested sew alongs.  Vote by sharing a comment at the end of this blog post.  You could help me out by saying which one would be your 1st, 2nd, and third choice and even a “not interested” choice is ok, too.

If I’ve totally missed it, and you have some Sew Along suggestions, you can share those here as well.

I’ll post the winning sew along on Feb. 3rd.  That announcement will also include our official “Start Date”!

T-Shirt Quilt

Classic Pencil Skirt

Make this Simplicity skirt Pattern #2906, View B and learn to sew darts & your choice of a lapped zipper -or- an invisible zipper!

PJ Ensemble

Over a series of posts, we’d be making the refashioned t-shirt, altering/modifying the pj pants, and going step by step to make the slippers.  This could be in child sizes or adult sizes.  I used Simplicity patterns:  2278 for the slippers & 2503 for the pants.

Amy Butler Hooded Rain Coat

Child Size

Adult Size

These links are to Amazon.  If they are out of stock, you’d just need to google to find where else to order them.

Well, I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Have a beautiful day!

Let’s get Sewing!

Jenny Gabriel – alter ego:  StitchinJenny

18 thoughts on “Introducing our 1st Quarterly “Sew Along”

1. Marla K

I like the quilting one. Too bad I gave away all of my t-shirts that I received when I used to enter a lot of tennis tournaments. I’d like them back now! lol! I would probably use something else other than t-shirts so if you can implement that as well into the t-shirt- quilt tutorial that would be great.

2. Rosalind

I am interested in the quilting project. I would also like some instructions for finishing corners with a binding for a quilt. I’m just not good at it.

3. Frances

I’d be interested in #1 raincoat and #2 pj’s. A little silly of me, really; I’ve been construction sewing since, well . . . ! Anyway, especially the raincoat might just be the jumpstart for the year that I need!

4. Patty

I’m bias, so I’ll probably do the quilt too… since I have one that I really need to get in gear for, maybe this will motivate me to get off my butt. 😛

5. Liz Taylor

They all look like fun – my picks would be #1 t shirt quilt, #2 raincoat and # 3 Pj’s. Cant wait to see what you pick for us!!! 😉

6. stacie

I’m voting raincoat. I have always admired this pattern but am terrified of sewing laminated cotton without some hand holding. You know I will participate in anything though.

7. Holly

1: Raincoat
    2: Skirt
    3: Tshirt Quilt
    4: PJs

I picked the rain coat as #1 because I’ve seen tutorials (or something close) out there but I am intrigued by the rain coat & would love to make one! It would be a chance to work w a new type of fabric & get away w something in a really fun print!

8. Cindy

I vote for rain jacket, pencil skirt, t-shirt quilt. I have never worked with waterproof fabric and I could use some advice on invisible zippers.

9. Pingback: Sew-Along Update! « Sew Vac Outlet (Humble Sewing Center) Blog

10. Wanda Honeywell

I just read the 2012 Swe Along newsletter and sadly missed yesterday’s t-shirt quilt session.

If possible, where can I view the session, or could it return by popular demand?

Wanda

1. Jenny Gabriel Post author

Hi Wanda,
      The great thing about our sew alongs is that they are archived in our Sew Alongs menu on the right hand side of the blog. So, you can click whatever project and follow along at your own pace even after a particular sew along is over…
      Here’s the link to our T-shirt Quilt Sew Along Headquarters. https://sewvacoutletblog.com/t-shirt-quilt/
      The sew along is made up of several blog posts and all of the links to each t-shirt quilt post are found at the headquarters link.
      Thanks for following! Have a beautiful day!

11. Pingback: T-Shirt Quilt Supply List « StitchinJenny's Blog