Today’s post is all about an experiment I conducted to refashion an old top of mine. I decided to cut it open and add button holes & buttons. Overall, it was a success, with a little bit of a fail mixed in. See below for more….
(The following is reposted from my most recent Sew Weekly contribution.)
The day we set aside to take pictures was a very grey and blustery one so, my dear, sweet, hubby, set up his equipment for an indoor photo shoot. We didn’t think you’d be interested in seeing our humble living room, so he got creative and hence, the custom backgrounds….
Ever since I began contributing to the Sew Weekly, he’s been faithfully helping me photograph my latest sewing efforts and this week’s button holes “experiment”. I must take a moment to extend an official “Thank You!!!” to my wonderful Mister.
Fabric: RTW stretch velvet shirt
Pattern: This is made from a hand-me-down top that I was given a few years ago. I decided to cut it open and refashion it into a button up top that I could then wear as a blouse or leave open and wear as a dressy cover up. (My own personal experiment… eeeep!)
Notions: Vintage Buttons from my Grandma’s Stash
Time to complete: 2 hours
First Worn: January 16, 2012
Wear Again: Yes!
Total Price: Free
The Details: Going into this, you’ll note, that I had visions of leaving the buttons unfastened and wearing this velvety top as a cover up over all kinds of other little tops. But, as you can see, or not see, there are NO photos of me with this little gem unbuttoned. This is because, stretch velvet rolls. So, if I ever were to wear it unbuttoned, everyone would get a nice long look at my button hole facings….. Not the look I was going for, but oh well. It’s good to experiment. Right?
If the end goal is to be able to wear the shirt unbuttoned, I think this experiment would work better on heavier weight fabrics. With that thought in mind, here’s a few pictures of my shirt’s “metamorphosis”:
- I cut 2 strips of fabric about 1 1/4″ wide & about 2 inches longer than the shirt front.Then I ironed fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric.
- I found and marked center front and cut open my shirt. Eeeep!
- With right sides together, I aligned one long edge of a facing strip with one long edge of my cut open shirt. Then I sewed the facing to the shirt and zig zagged the raw edge of the facing. (Next, I repeated these steps for the other facing.)
- I then marked and sewed all of my buttonholes on the front of the shirt. This is a picture of my lovely facings….
- Here’s a close up of my finished button hole and button. Except for the rolling velvet, this shirt turned out just the way I wanted.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read about this partially successful refashioning experiment.
If you’d like to be among the first to know when we launch our next gift give-away, please click on the side menu to “follow us by email”.
Let’s Get Sewing!
Jenny Gabriel – alter ego: StitchinJenny